the Campaign - During the campaign you may require volunteers to send
letters to local businesses and maybe visit those local business seeking
Other volunteers may be on the lookout for
great deals or closeouts on merchandise, prizes and technology for your
Weekly donation turn ins will require
volunteers to count donations, mark off envelopes and hand them back to the
Fundraising Activity - Some fundraising activities may be indoors and others
outdoors. School groups may choose to
hold classroom based read-a-thons or academic triathlons where supervision is
already in the classroom.
Outdoor fundraising activities will require
Be sure to identify the number of traffic
control intersections and locations for first aid, water and food
Each committee member should oversee, with
the help of volunteers where necessary, the different aspects of the event:
- Registration - includes collecting final pledges,
donations and registration fees as well as managing participants and
- Route - spend time on the route to ensure safety
of participants and happy volunteers
- Relief Stations - Water, first aid and food
stations will need to checked and re-stocked if necessary
- Extracurricular Activities - Games with prizes
before, during and after the event can be a fun way to entertain
- Awards Ceremony - held at the end of the event to reward
participants for event times, laps or pledges collected.
Volunteers are happier
if they work in pairs. Also, remind
them to bring their folding chairs, sun glasses and plenty of sunscreen.
- Committee member and volunteers to work the
registration and information table, sign in participants and hand out
numbered racing bibs
- Two volunteers for each intersection
- At least Two volunteers for each food/water stand
- As many as four supporting volunteers to assist
with making the other volunteers and sponsors comfortable. Golf carts come in handy here!
- Others as may be required by your individual
This guide should help you calculate the
number of volunteers you will need for your unique event. Be sure to remind the volunteers that this
will be a day of fun.